As Principal of Coláiste na Trócaire, it is my pleasure to welcome you to our school website. We thank you for taking the time to visit. We hope this site provides you with some useful information.
Our school has its own distinct atmosphere and culture and our staff work hard to ensure that our students enjoy a holistic and enriching educational experience in the following ways:
Culture Creation - an Environment of Support
Our School welcomes each student into a friendly, caring and supportive community.
- Every child is enabled to feel wanted, safe and valued within the school community.
- Procedural and Interpersonal norms for students are clearly stated and modeled by staff.
- Behavioural expectations are explicitly taught. Positive Reinforcement and Restorative Practice, Solution Focused Therapy are used extensively.
- We offer a range of School Support Systems; LS/Sen, Guidance, Pastoral Care, Student Support Team, Class Teachers, Behaviour Support teams, Year Heads, Mentoring, Staff Support.
Leading a Learning School
We provide a well-balanced, educational programme so that all our students can develop key skills, knowledge and attitudes.
- LCETB and the school management support a range of initiatives such as ‘Battelle for Kids’ and ‘Critical Thinking Skills’.
- We strive to excel in teaching and learning by reinforcing positive practice, the careful introduction of effective new teaching and learning methodologies.
- We engage in a substantive review of Teaching and Learning within the school community through the use of SSE.
- Teaching Assessment as Learning and Assessment for Learning, Setting Targets at the beginning of Learning Cycles.
Maximising Potential - an Atmosphere of Ambition
…so that all our students can develop skills and attitudes that will allow them to grow up into mature, responsible well-rounded individuals capable of living fulfilling lives and making a worthwhile contribution to society.
- We seek to ‘Catch them being good’ – rewarding and scaffolding potential: academic, sporting, artistic, inter-personal. We have a merit system and a Student Awards scheme as well as supporting students through instant and regular praise.
- We set SMART learning Goals for our students: specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and timed.
- We value learning on the edges of the curriculum, teaching life skills and attitudes as well as units of knowledge. We offer an extensive array of extra-curricular events in sports, music and the arts.
Looking in - Looking Out - Looking Ahead
It is the mission of Limerick and Clare Education and Training Board, in conjunction with other education and training agencies and community development bodies, to create and promote the development of a learning society in Rathkeale, so that all who live in and around Rathkeale have access to the education and training required by their personal, social, cultural, economic and civic needs.
- We seek to build community based on the ethos of LCETB and the Mercy Order by celebrating achievement and attainment within the wider school community.
- We work with Parents as full partners in Education.
- We encourage a sense of belonging and responsibility to the local community and beyond through links with local and county clubs, charities and businesses.
- We work to make learning a lifelong process through our night classes.
This website showcases the wealth of experiences we offer our students and gives them a wider audience for their work and achievements. It also demonstrates the vibrant and bustling community of Coláiste na Trócaire. We hope you enjoy your visit and return regularly to check out our latest news. Please feel free to contact us should you have any queries.